While the field of bioinformatics encompasses a wide variety of computational, mathematical, and molecular technologies, the bioinformatics faculty in Biochemistry and Molecular & Cellular Biology have a particularly strong focus on protein and proteomics informatics, from the analysis of experimental mass-spectrometry evidence for proteins and protein isoforms to the integration and curation of large-scale data-warehouses of protein sequence and functional annotation.
Faculty with a Research Interest in Bioinformatics
- Hakima Amri [Associate Professor]
- Mark Danielsen [Associate Professor]
- Nathan Edwards [Associate Professor]
Proteomics informatics; mass spectrometry; inexact string matching; high-performance, grid, and cloud computing; microorganism identification.
- Albert Fornace, Jr. [Professor]
- Karen E Ross [Assistant Professor]
- Sona Vasudevan [Associate Professor]
Protein structure informatics; antibody classification.
- Cathy Wu [Adjunct Professor]
Protein Information Resource (PIR); protein classification systems and databases.